The majority of our students need no advice on appearance because they use good common sense. Decency, good taste, and respect for self and the standards of the community are to be maintained in dress and grooming by all students. Any student attire that is considered contrary to good hygiene, disruptive in appearance, or detrimental to the educational environment or the public image of the school will not be permitted. Also, student attire should not be a hazard to the student’s safety or to the safety of others. The administration and teachers will determine the appropriateness of dress. Students not in compliance will be sent to the main office.
- Shorts should be no shorter than mid-thigh.
- Skirts and dresses should be no shorter than the top of the knee.
- Leggings, jeggings, and other compression/athletic-style pants may be worn so long as they are worn under a mid-thigh length (dress code compliant) shirt.
- Shirts must be opaque and cover the stomach and chest – and – have an over-the-shoulder area at least 2 inches wide. (roughly the width of a business card) (*Opaque – solid, not see-through)
- Any items worn underneath sheer or lace clothing must adhere to the dress code.
- Holes in pants may not be above the knee. Holes or fray above the knee caused by normal wear must not reveal skin.
- “Sagging” pants may not be worn. Pants must be belted and properly fit at the waist.
- Pajamas/pajama pants are not appropriate for regular school day attire.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times. No house shoes are allowed.
- Sunglasses and hats (even cute ones worn as hair ornaments) are not to be worn by students inside the building. Baseball caps may be worn by students working in the welding or machine shops only.
- Apparel considered unnecessarily concealing will not be permitted.
- Spiked accessories, oversized jewelry or belt buckles, and inappropriate head coverings such as bandanas or do-rags are prohibited during school time or school functions.
- Students may not wear clothing that mentions drugs, vulgar/obscene/profane captions, tobacco, alcohol, etc., or related to a gang or gang colors.
- Clothing or accessories promoting clubs or organizations that are not affiliated with THS are prohibited. This includes but is not limited to Greek organizations, social organizations, gangs, or any organization whose activities may include hazing. THS seeks to create an inclusive environment for our students, and these groups are counterproductive to this goal. Clothing bearing the letters, symbols, or names of such a group is not to be worn to school.
Parents will be notified if students are inappropriately dressed. Students will be required to change into proper clothing and will not be allowed to attend class if in violation of the dress code. Students who violate the dress code will be subject to disciplinary measures. A slide presentation of what may and may not be worn to school is available on the school website.
If a parent is unable to be contacted or unable to bring clothing in a timely manner that meets the dress code, the student will wait in the In School Suspension room until contact is made or clothing is delivered. The student must check out with parent permission to leave school to change clothing.